Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Gotcha From Guatemala!

I smell like baby powder and diapers and mango and teething biscuits and drool, and I wouldn’t want it any other way. It is wild being here in Guatemala with Noe, knowing that this time we’ll be coming home with her. It keeps hitting us little by little; we’ll think, “man, I’m so bummed we’re going to just miss her first tooth,” and then realize that from here on, we won’t miss anything.

It’s also a bit surreal being at the Guatemala Marriott. Our old friend, Ben Villegas, is the General Manager here, so it’s fantastic to be able to see him. But this hotel is knownH as “baby central,” and one lap around the lobby will tell you why. Dozens of families each day meet their baby’s foster families and get the hand-off of their kids (as we did yesterday . . . a tearful affair for everyone but Noe), or rendez-vous with facilitators to be shuttled to the embassy for their final meeting (as we did today) or to pick up their baby’s visas (as we will tomorrow).

Every one of those families has been through an unbelievable amount of paper work, gruelling months of waiting and jumping into the wild unknown, and I respect each and every one for doing so. Yet some are more sensitve to what all parties are feeling than others (someone turned to us in the elevator last night with excited eyes and said, “I’m getting one tomorrow,” as if she were expecting delivery of a cocker spaniel or a dozen tomato seedlings. We didn’t quite know how to respond.)

Here are a few highlights from the past couple of days:

* Noe’s teething and we’ve got an arsenal of toys with all kinds of chewy surfaces, yet what does she just love gumming most? The tags.

* Noe has taken to the sling again. This time, though, we’re better prepared. Christopher and I actually watched the video accompanying the Maya Wrap before we packed up this time (it was hysterical, both of us standing at attention in front of our television the night before leaving, dutifully tightening and loosening our slings in practice). Now she just slips right in and either perches on my hip and watches the world go by or cocoons up against my stomach and pretends the world’s not there at all.

* We decided to brave the fine dining restaurant last night (Noe was cocooned) for a quick dinner and, of course, by the time the salads came, Noe was up and about. We panicked at first, but she laughed all through dinner and ate (well, gummed) all of the tomatoes from my salad and would have gone for more had there been any. Garden . . . here we come!

* What seemed like an hour after dinner—and in real sleep time probably was—we got up for our early morning appointment at the embassy. By the time we got up to the window, almost two hours after arriving, Noe was totally cocooned against me (I love that!), having no idea that the man before her held his fate in her hands. The guy (nice guy) ended up being from Oakland and we spent the bulk of the interview talking about wine country. He opened with the comment that Noe’s a lucky girl to be going home with us to Healdsburg, and I, in my enthusiasm, vowed to bring her up on good wine. Christopher chimed in quickly with, “and good food too!”

* After receiving the final stamp of approval (what a feeling it was when we heard the clunk of that stamp!) the three of us went to breakfast and Noe downed several spoonfuls of refried beans, wore a few hunks of watermelon and gnawed on a plantain (hence, the bath bit below). The girl eats, I tell you.

* This afternoon, Christopher and I gave Noe a bath after breakfast and a nap and got her sparkling clean (quite frankly, after that breakfast, she stunk). Then we decided to give her some mango in a little mesh pouch (thank you Kris Haugen!) to gnaw on by the pool. She ate it up, and then smeared it all over herself in between bites. Next, we thought it would be wise to give her a teething biscuit which, at one point, we caught her smearing in between her toes. When I thought about what we must have looked like as we walked back to the room, it occurred to me that we could have just drizzled maple syrup all over her and rolled her around in Ritz crackers and gotten the same effect. I think we’ll be having another bath today :-).
All in all, I’m thrilled to report that there have been many more smiles and giggles than cries, and what cries there are are quickly quieted by Mama’s arms (or Papa’s!). We’ve got our little girl, and now we’re coming home!

7 comments:

Nicole said...

She's beautiful! Congratulations-it must be a great feeling for it to finally be over and time to begin your new life with Noe!

By the way, I'll need to find out where you got your sling-it sounds like a great idea and I think the Baby Bjorn that I have will be to small for Han Tsai-Yi.

Safe travels home!
Love,
Nicole

Ellie said...

I am so excited! I can't wait to meet little beautiful Noe! I love you guys so much!
xoxo
Ellie

Unknown said...

I just cried! She is so beautiful and happy and you are SOOOOO a Mom and Dad. How quickly our lives change and everything we used to think important is less important (except for the good wine thing).

Can't wait to hug you all!

Love,

Janis

Hubers said...

I did make a vow to bring her up on good wine ;-). That means I have to keep it, right?

Judy said...

Dear Noe,
What a cute and happy child you are and by the looks of it you certainly aren't camera shy. (that's a good thing)It's obvious you've had a wonderful start in life.
We feel we already know you from the wonderful stories and pictures of you. Have a safe trip home and can't wait to meet you.
Love,
Judy & Norm
p.s. Ask your mom and dad if they've heard of Mogan David wine. Oops...did I say the wrong thing?

Unknown said...

Noe,

I can see your wonderful soul through those powerful brown eyes of yours. And, I just know you are prepared and hungry for your human journey ahead. In the psychic world of possiblities, they say that we choose our parents. If that is something you come to believe (by the time you can process this)you will know you hit the lottery with your mom and dad. They have been preparing for your arrival into their world for a lifetime and you get to be the recepient of their remarkable journeys that brought them together for you to teach them about true love, possiblity and many of the real priorities of life.

We can't wait to meet you and share in the celebration.

Your mommy just finished writing an incredible book with a title that at this moment I find curious. You see, she named it "I land home" and you my sweet child have indeed landed home.

With love and excitement to share in your journey,

Allan

Hubers said...

You guys are all awesome! Yes, it does feel incredible to be home with Noe. And Allan, I too have thought about the irony of I Land Home going through all of this ;-). Very astute, as usual, my friend.

Love you all!