Thursday, March 22, 2007

Showered with Blessings!

First, let me start by saying, I never in a million years thought I'd be having a baby shower (nor did I ever desire one, up until a couple months ago). Then let me follow that up by saying, HOLY COW THAT WAS FUN! I could not imagine a more perfect shower for me.

My Mom flew in the Thursday before and was joined by my dear, dear friends Julie Curtin and Janis Milham on Saturday (all of us at left) -- which was a gift in and of itself. Sunday, the day of the shower, was a Halcyon day. The sky was that brilliant, almost transparant blue in the springtime sun and just felt like a benediction over the day. I told Chris Hanna (who was the mastermind and gracious hostess to the fete along with Jann Forth, Joann Ferguson and Honore Comfort . . . all of us are there below) the next day that I felt like the house itself was smiling.

As women streamed in the door and took up glasses of pink champagne (yum) and conversation and plates of fabulous food (Honore made the most succulent gravlax I've ever tasted . . . and homemade pate de campagne . . . and grilled pork tenderloin . . . and . . . ) I just kept dropping back to take it all in. I was overwhelmed with grattitude for each and every woman there (and for those of you who were not!), and feel so immensely blessed that they are a part of my life and had come to celebrate Noemi de Leon with me. It was humbling. OK, I'm crying.

Anyhooooo . . . after the incredible lunch, we watched the world premiere of the "Our Time in Guatemala" DVD by Christopher Huber, which provoked many a box of Kleenex to be tossed across the room. To hear Noe giggle and razz, to see her wriggle and laugh. Uggghhh, it is divine, and yet it just shreds my heart. Not going to cry. Up next was Joann's clever (if disgusting) game (and the only one I might add . . . thank you Joann!) -- identify the baby food. In case you were wondering? Yes, "Bananas Supreme," "Chicken Lasagne" and "Mac and Cheese" all taste the same when coming out of a jar. I, a woman who makes a living writing about food, did not come remotely close to guessing what any of the five were.

And then, there were the gifts. Lots and lots of really, really, really cool gifts. So many that I can't go into any one here. Suffice it to say that Noe will be an extremely well-dressed, well-shod, well-read, well-bathed child with a bevy of fun things to play with and cool things in her nursery. And her parents have sweet, sweet photos to keep them company during the wait, and a stylin' ride for when Noe arrives. I was absolutely blown away. Thank you to all.

And, alas, there was a sweet ending too . . . of Jann Forth's famous chocolate cake in cupcake form accompanied by buttermilk cupcakes with buttercream icing. Oh my. Yes, I had one of each. Jann even sent everyone on their way with a box of her homemade truffles. I couldn't . . . well, just one ;-).
Thank you to all the women who were there in body, spirit or both . . . you are all so very dear to me!

2 comments:

Eveleen said...

Janis, Allan and darling Kate are currently visiting us and throughout the chaos I've had the absolute pleasure of enjoying some amazing updates about your journey, compliments of Janis. The joy and happiness and gratitude that you spoke to on this site can be felt 3000 miles away.

Blessings forever ..... Eveleen

Brian and Jenifer said...

My name is Jenifer VanZanten, and I am the niece of Julie Garl. Greg and Julie have shared your amazing story with my husband (Brian) and I, and we have so enjoyed reading your blog. We too, are in the process of adopting an infant girl from Guatemala. We will likely make our first trip in May. We would enjoy talking with you more about your trip, and what to expect in Guatemala. I'm also wondering where you found the adorable little toy that you can insert family photos into. We thought that would be a great item to leave with our daughter.
You can contact us at vanzanje@gvsu.edu or visit our blog (sorry-no pictures yet) at vanzanten5.blogspot.com. Blessings on this wonderful journey!

Brian and Jenifer VanZanten